The data we collect within CCleaner, why we collect it, and what it’s used for
CCleaner reports some statistical, non-personal data from the desktop application to improve the quality of the PC cleaning and utility services that we provide to you.
When you use CCleaner it is necessary for some data, such as the operating system you’re on, whether you’re using a free or paid version of CCleaner, and the language you’re using, to be reported. This data allows us to safely maintain CCleaner and make sure that it works well for everyone. But not all data needs to be reported.
Your anonymous usage data doesn’t need to be reported for us to maintain CCleaner, but it does help us to build a better product. It provides us with statistics about what is being used within CCleaner and what isn’t. This data helps us make decisions about how we develop CCleaner so we can build features that you like and give you a better user experience. You can choose whether you’d like CCleaner to report anonymous data in CCleaner’s ‘Privacy’ tab.
Some important notes about your data…
- CCleaner can only report usage data about itself or its use; it does not report data about interactions with other applications on your computer.
- The data reported in CCleaner is anonymous, aggregated, statistical data that we use to spot product usage trends. It does not report personal data.
- Data is collected in accordance with data processing best practices and domestic privacy laws. We do not connect statistical data with any personal data that we may hold for you elsewhere in the company, such as your email address (if, for example, you have subscribed to our marketing emails).
- Data is securely stored in Microsoft Azure Cloud or the data center of our parent company Avast Antivirus, and is only accessed and processed by us.
What CCleaner can report and why...
|Data group||Data categories reported||Why is it reported?|
Installation event, product edition, product version, license status, country, language, and operating system version information
It provides us with basic system data so we can:
Without this information, we would not be able to maintain CCleaner and it would not be safe or responsible for us to let you use it.
The license key used to activate and authenticate the license, the type of license
It lets us know your license details so we:
Basic interaction with CCleaner (views, button clicks), performance indicators (e.g. amount of junk cleaned)
It helps us understand how CCleaner is used so we can give you a better user experience by:
Product edition, product version, if Chrome is installed, antivirus installed, operating system version information, language
It means that in our free product we can deliver offers for Chrome and Avast Antivirus in a relevant, timely and contextual manner. It also means we can make sure an offer is not displayed if:
|Emergency Update Check||
Product edition, product version, operating system version information, language
It means we can detect and deliver an emergency update, should one be required.
Apps running at the time of crash, operating system version information, CCleaner version/build
It helps us diagnose issues within CCleaner so we can deliver fixes in future versions.
We’ve renamed two CCleaner functions...
The following functions have not changed in functionality, but their new names better describe their purpose:
- The heartbeat, which lets us know the product edition, license status and version of the software that you’re using (so we can offer updates) is now called Product Maintenance.
This is listed in the above table.
- The Monitoring feature, which was controlled by the Active Monitoring checkbox and triggers automatic cleaning and alerts, is now called Smart Cleaning.
This is not listed in the above table because this feature does not report any data to us.
It can be found in CCleaner’s new ‘Smart Cleaning’ tab.
If you have any questions, please visit our FAQs
Footnote: This Data Factsheet relates to: CCleaner Free, CCleaner Professional. CCleaner Business Edition and CCleaner Technician Edition. We are working towards providing information for our other business products: CCleaner Network Edition and CCleaner Cloud. For information regarding these products, please contact our Support Team.